Wednesday, October 7, 2009

iHCPL #40: Fitness

I am a fairly large person but I do aim to do some sort of (added) physical activity each day. I love walking at the park because it helps me de-stress and also burn a few calories. However, if I want to lose weight, I know I have to increase my cardio immensely.

I reviewed the Mayo Clinic's 5 Step Program and I know I have a lot of room for improvement. One thing I would like to do in the near future if the weather allows is go on a hike. I went on my first hike sometime in August and thoroughly enjoyed it (apart from bug bites!). I would like to continue this activity if the weather gets under 80 degrees!

I reviewed FamilyDoctor.org's suggestions to keeping at it and I agree with sticking to activities you enjoy and finding a buddy. I have a hard time motivating myself to go and work out but if a friend is interested in accompanying me, I am motivated to go and I get my gossip-fill for the day. I enjoy walking the most so I try to do that but other things need to be done such as cleaning the yard. I have to remind myself that the added benefit of cleaning the yard is burning calories. Another thing I am considering if shopping for an exercise machine via Craigslist and using that while watching my daily dose of TV. There are a number of shows I watch on DVD which I think I can easily convince myself to watch while working out.

Calculators & Questionnaire
So I once I tried out the calculators and questionnaire, I don't think I'm horribly off the trail. I am considered morbidly obese (such a harsh term, don't you think?) but my life expectancy is about 86.3. I don't think I'd want to live that long, but if I did, I want to try and make the best of it. My areas needing improvement are psychological, CAD (coronary heart disease), and Diet. I think they are all interconnected because I tend to stress out about minor details and if I can balance that, I wouldn't be so inclined to snack on serotonin-inducing foods such as carbs and chocolate. I think I am very capable of creating a healthy lifestyle. Apart from my love for research and sharing information with others, I joined HCPL's Wellness Committee so I can educate myself on healthy living and resources. I'd like to try Pilates because I hear a lot of people say good things about it. Not only do you practice relaxation, you stretch your body (which helps release those feel-good chemicals, and burn calories- awesome! I think once I get a handle on a good amount of activity, my body will crave fresh fruits and vegetables. I started buying apples and carrots again and I started adding frozen vegetables to my meals for added sustenance. Even if these are small efforts, it's better than nothing, right?

No comments: