Thursday, November 5, 2009

Wellness #42: Staying Well

Mayo Clinic Symptom Checker

Since I'm not currently taking medication, I decided to test out the Symptom Checker. Fortunately I don't have persistent body pains but on occasion, my arm will be numb. I looked up my symptoms pertaining to arm/hand numbness and the top cause is Carpel Tunnel. I do spent most of my time using an electronic device whether its my work desktop computer, home laptop, or cell phone. But according to the description, carpel tunnel isn't caused by that. I don't think I care too much for this symptom checker and have used WebMD more often because it narrows symptoms by gender and allows you to select the area of the body than to choose what types of feelings you are having. But I did do a keyword search for other issues I deal with and found pertinent information about my recurrent problems. I like how the site breaks down diagnoses with a general description, symptoms, causes, and so on. I can definitely see this site useful for clarification purposes on other "illnesses."

MedlinePlus

I found this site to be very useful; I can't believe I've never used this before! I was able to look up support groups as well as contact information for the support groups. I also wanted to find information on Nutritionists and according to the site, there are 11 businesses near me. I think this is a site I can use for other needs as well. Although I have a set of doctors through my insurance, I have friends and families needing help so I can definitely direct them to this site for information.

Family History



I attempted to create a family tree and didn't realize how large my family is! Both parents come from a large family and I don't any of my uncles or aunts too well. I do recall three of my dad's brothers passed away from stroke-related events. It seems that heart disease is prevalent on my father's side and diabetes and cancer run on my mom's side. This would be helpful for genealogical studies to see what reoccurring diseases pop up and thus mean I am more susceptible to.

No comments: